As a mum, I know that cooking for kids can be tricky; particularly when trying to get them to eat the good stuff.
I’m very lucky with John (my two-year-old) as he eats well on the whole, but like most children, he is never one to pass up something sweet over the vegetables! I think he gets it from me…
Dessert has however become my secret weapon; John knows if he eats all his vegetables he’ll often get a small sweet treat after dinner. It could be a yogurt, a piece of fruit, or I’ll whip up his favourite – John’s Jelly.
Jelly is super easy to make but it wins me huge brownie points. Result. With reduced-sugar options, it’s also a reasonably well-balanced sweet treat for children (and adults!) too. John loves his jelly as we can mould the mixture into different shapes and use brightly coloured fruits to make it look even more exciting. He often helps me to choose which fruits to place in the mould before the mixture goes on; it’s such a lovely way to spend time with him.
Then there’s his favourite bit… Wobbling the jelly in the fridge to see if it’s set!
It’s a simple recipe, but in an ode to my gorgeous boys I wanted to share this family favourite with you. Why not try it yourself this weekend with the kids?
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 1 min | Serves: 4-6 Portions
- 5-6 gelatine sheets
- 250g mixed berries (John’s favourites, when in season, are strawberries, blueberries and raspberries)
- 500ml white grape juice or apple juice
- 6 jelly moulds (approx. 100ml in size)
- Soak the gelatine sheets in water for 5 minutes
- Very lightly oil the moulds and arrange your assorted berries in them
- Warm 100ml of your white grape or apple juice until it boils
- Remove your gelatine sheets from the water and squeeze off any excess water. Mix the sheets into the heated white grape or apple juice until they dissolve
- Stir in the rest of your juice and divide evenly amongst the moulds
- Refrigerate for 4-5 hours – until set and suitably wobbly!
- Carefully flip upside down to unmould your jelly
- Serve on its own or alongside ice-cream for a special treat