Healthy Baked Eggs
Middle Eastern inspired food is having a real moment in the UK and I for one am delighted. I find that the majority of dishes are healthy, full of flavour and are relatively easy to make yourself. Baked Eggs is one dish that I often get cravings for, especially when the weather is a bit grey and cold like it is at the moment.
It’s so filling, comforting and delicious whilst being relatively low on fat and calories (depending on how generous you are with the cheese of course).
Here’s my take on the Middle Eastern brunch classic.
Healthy Baked Eggs
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Serves: 2
- 1 finely chopped large onion
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tins of chopped Italian tomatoes
- Grind of rock salt and pepper
- A sprinkle of mixed dried herbs
- 4 organic large eggs
- 6 thinly cut rings of goat’s cheese (optional)
- Grated parmesan, to taste
- Fresh basil to garnish
*You can also add chili to spice it up if you like it hot
Note: You will require a medium-sized ovenproof dish for this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6
- Start by softening your chopped onions in olive oil by cooking until they start to go slightly translucent.
- Add to this, your garlic, the tomatoes, herbs and a grind of salt and pepper. The longer you allow the sauce to simmer the better, but after 20/30 minutes it should be ready for the next steps. It will have reduced in volume but still have quite a thick consistency
- In an ovenproof dish, pour in your homemade tomato sauce. Make a make a few small wells to carefully crack your eggs into
- Top with your goat’s cheese rings and sprinkle parmesan cheese all over
- Bake in the oven until the cheese has melted and the dish is bubbling hot
- Garnish with the basil and serve with crusty ciabatta bread. Add a drizzle of olive oil to this to make it extra indulgent